50 Hikes 50 States 50 Years
As someone who likes to hike and backpack, I decided a number of years ago that I wanted to hike 50 trails in 50 States before I was 50 years old. I’m certain that I’m not the first to do this – although I made the decision without any outside influence and with two basic rules...
Panthertown Valley is one of my favorite hiking spots in North Carolina. It is located near Cashiers, NC in the western section of the State and was purchased by the Nature Conservancy from Duke Power in 1989. Panthertown is now part of the Nantahala National Forest and has been growing rapidly in popularity – especially over the last ten years.
There is nothing better than escaping a trade show in Las Vegas for the backcountry and fresh air of Zion National Park. After a 3 hour drive Fuller and I arrive in Springdale, UT and stay a short distance from the park. Our first mission is to hike the Hidden Canyon Trail.
It’s been 20 years since I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. There’s no doubt, it was a different Trail back then – fewer thru-hikers, no cell phones, and no websites to research the A.T. prior to heading out.
We satisfy a listener request for a show on backcountry basics. Recorded at a remote campsite on the Chattooga River, I speak with Therm Rider and The Camel about some of our rookie mistakes in the backcountry and smart things that we’ve done since our first ventures in to the wilderness.
The weatherman said there was a 100% chance of rain today, and he was 100% right! It rained all morning, and all afternoon.....
Walk In The Woods Premieres To Mixed Reviews
Walk In The Woods premiered at the Sundance Film Festival this week to mixed reviews. Here's a sampling. The Guardian "Plenty of silly little incidents ensue along the way, with lots of jokes about advancing years. Most of these episodes are far too low-stakes to carry a movie and the bigger picture..
A letter to ATC Executive Director, Ron Tiptop, lays out the current issues – many of which focus on thru-hikers that overwhelm park resources and occasionally don’t follow the rules of Baxter Park (ie. no public consumption of alchohol or drugs, camping only designated areas, no dogs in to the park, etc).
After fattening up on Thanksgiving dinner, The Camel meets us in North Carolina for a hike in to Panthertown Valley.
You may have heard that Walk In The Woods is filming now in the Atlanta area, and Friday I was cast as an extra in a bunkroom scene with actors Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. True to the book, it was set at Rainbow Springs, N.C. after an April snowstorm
In the research, McNeely discovered evidence that Earl Shaffer bypassed at least 170 miles of the trail which, if true, will alter the history of the Appalachian Trail forever – much as proving George Mallory didn’t actually summit Mount Everest would forever alter the history of mountaineering.
It is sunny when we leave Atlanta and the forecast is for temperatures in the 50’s in nearby Franklin, N.C. But as we drive the 2 1/2 hours north to the Appalachian Trail we spot a line of clouds and a cold front pushing in from the Northwest.
Take a side hike up Siler Bald, go swimming in the pool at Caledonia State Park, take the gondola ride down to Killington – and yes, stay a night or two in a trail town.
A look at the Forney Creek drainage in to Fontana Lake. The TVA drew the water down for maintenance and the cove was exposed this February 2016. … Read More...
This content is password protected. To view it please enter your password below: Password: … Read More...
There's nothing like a cold sardine during a lunch break while backpacking in the Smokies. I think I'll stick to beef jerky! … Read More...
This is it - the famed tunnel on the "Road To Nowhere". It looks more like the zombie apocalypse than a backpacking trip. … Read More...
- Black Diamond Camping February 9, 2016Black Diamond designed its Speed 30 Backpack for day trips out on the mountain whether you're hiking, biking, alpine or ice climbi ng. Its removable reActive waist belt moves with your hips so you can bike and hike without any restrictions, and the SwingArm shoulder straps also allow a freedom of movement that you appreciate when you reach through verti […]
- Firewatch review February 9, 2016It's somewhat rare today video games to tell smaller, more intimate stories about characters, rather than sweeping epics about saving worlds or stopping unstoppable bad guys. The power of Firewatch , the inaugural effort by studio Campo Santo, is in its focus on simple, human moments - it's mostly about two people talking on the radio. […]
- New Brunswick man makes trip of a lifetime February 8, 2016It was the toughest, most challenging thing he's ever done. But Wade Wheaton wouldn't have traded the adventure for anything in the world. […]
- Patagonia school backpacks February 8, 2016It seems like Patagonia's Black Hole 32L Backpack has a limitless capacity for all the hiking gear you need on day-long trails. In spired by Patagonia's alpine packs, the Black Hole features a light-yet-strong ripstop shell laminated in TPU and finished with DWR for extreme protection from rugged environments. […]
- High Gear: Hillsound Armadillo LT gaiter February 7, 2016Editor's note: High Gear features outdoor sports gear, technology and innovations useful in the High Sierra and America's West. My first introduction to gaiters came when I was about 7 years old. […]