50 Hikes 50 States 50 Years
As someone who likes to hike and backpack, I decided a number of years ago that I wanted to hike 50 trails in 50 States before I was 50 years old. I’m certain that I’m not the first to do this – although I made the decision without any outside influence and with two basic rules...
Panthertown Valley is one of my favorite hiking spots in North Carolina. It is located near Cashiers, NC in the western section of the State and was purchased by the Nature Conservancy from Duke Power in 1989. Panthertown is now part of the Nantahala National Forest and has been growing rapidly in popularity – especially over the last ten years.
There is nothing better than escaping a trade show in Las Vegas for the backcountry and fresh air of Zion National Park. After a 3 hour drive Fuller and I arrive in Springdale, UT and stay a short distance from the park. Our first mission is to hike the Hidden Canyon Trail.
It’s been 20 years since I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. There’s no doubt, it was a different Trail back then – fewer thru-hikers, no cell phones, and no websites to research the A.T. prior to heading out.
We satisfy a listener request for a show on backcountry basics. Recorded at a remote campsite on the Chattooga River, I speak with Therm Rider and The Camel about some of our rookie mistakes in the backcountry and smart things that we’ve done since our first ventures in to the wilderness.
The weatherman said there was a 100% chance of rain today, and he was 100% right! It rained all morning, and all afternoon.....
Walk In The Woods Premieres To Mixed Reviews
Walk In The Woods premiered at the Sundance Film Festival this week to mixed reviews. Here's a sampling. The Guardian "Plenty of silly little incidents ensue along the way, with lots of jokes about advancing years. Most of these episodes are far too low-stakes to carry a movie and the bigger picture..
A letter to ATC Executive Director, Ron Tiptop, lays out the current issues – many of which focus on thru-hikers that overwhelm park resources and occasionally don’t follow the rules of Baxter Park (ie. no public consumption of alchohol or drugs, camping only designated areas, no dogs in to the park, etc).
After fattening up on Thanksgiving dinner, The Camel meets us in North Carolina for a hike in to Panthertown Valley.
You may have heard that Walk In The Woods is filming now in the Atlanta area, and Friday I was cast as an extra in a bunkroom scene with actors Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. True to the book, it was set at Rainbow Springs, N.C. after an April snowstorm
In the research, McNeely discovered evidence that Earl Shaffer bypassed at least 170 miles of the trail which, if true, will alter the history of the Appalachian Trail forever – much as proving George Mallory didn’t actually summit Mount Everest would forever alter the history of mountaineering.
It is sunny when we leave Atlanta and the forecast is for temperatures in the 50’s in nearby Franklin, N.C. But as we drive the 2 1/2 hours north to the Appalachian Trail we spot a line of clouds and a cold front pushing in from the Northwest.
Take a side hike up Siler Bald, go swimming in the pool at Caledonia State Park, take the gondola ride down to Killington – and yes, stay a night or two in a trail town.
In Episode 30, we welcome Scott "Squatch" Herriott back to the show to discuss his film Wayfaring and his jaunt along the Camino de Santiago (or Way of St. James). The trail starts in France … Read More...
Here's what ~22 hours as a #walkinthewoods extra will get you. Don't quit your day job :) … Read More...
End of the road on this hike yesterday near the river. Lot's of rain here in Georgia and it shows! #besthikeswithdog … Read More...
In Episode 29, we discuss the expected surge of Appalachian Trail thru-hikers this spring and why a southbound hike might be the right decision for you in 2016. On the show, Popeye talks about … Read More...
- 'Walk with nature' at HCSNA February 5, 2016Leanne Beauxbeannes, interpretive park ranger at the Hill Country State Natural Area, will lead a nature walk from 9:30 am to 11:30 pm, Saturday, Feb. 6. The natural area is located at 10600 Bandera Creek Road at the end of FM 1077, south of Bandera. During the scenic winter walk, participants will hunt for signs of spring and learn about the evergreen nativ […]
- Mount Baldy: Safety urged in wake of hiker's death February 5, 2016After a 23-year-old Westminster man fell to his death Tuesday , Feb, 2, hiking Mount Baldy, experts and authorities say proper equipment and hiking skills are key to traversing the trail. Though Daniel Nguyen's family and friends said he was an avid hiker, Tuesday's conditions on the trail may have been more treacherous than usual. […]
- Ortlieb February 5, 2016The Ortlieb Vario QL3 Pannier / Backpack combinesthe functionality of a pannier withthe convenience of a backpack. The Vario is tr uly versatile and commuters absolutely love the conveneince of the QuickLock 3 mounting system. […]
- Westminster man falls to death hiking Mt. Baldy February 4, 2016Daniel Nguyen of Westminster fell 1,500 feet to his death while hiking in Mt. Baldy on Tuesday morning, according to the San Bernardino County Coroner's Office. […]
- 7 Miami Salons Found the Perfect Hairstyle for Your Valentine's Day Date February 3, 2016Valentine's Day is an excuse to get all dolled up, and these Miami hair salons and on-demand beauty services are here to help. Whether you're keeping it casual or expecting a grand gesture, find your perfect hairstyle here Your hair is the last thing you want to worry about when there are nine more heavenly courses to enjoy. […]